Boat Improvement Projects

Rendezvous 2018 is going to highlight Improvement Projects and/or Repairs that you’ve done to your boat. There’s no better time to take a peek at projects other Nonsuchers have done then at a Rendezvous.
 
We’ll have a large flat screen TV with a presentation running through all the projects in a loop during the Rendezvous. Projects will range from simple refinishing jobs to more complex projects like heat installation and masthead repairs. Not only will you get a chance to see these projects on the big screen you will also have the opportunity to speak to the person who completed the project and take a look a the project on their boat.
 
We’re hopeful that the Boat Projects display will be a place where fellow Nonsuchers can get to meet each other and participate in some lively discussion. It should be a nice ice breaker and a great way to meet some new people and maybe get some great ideas too!
 

Here’s a sample project from Jamie Morrison, NS30U 225 Dexterity II:
 Masthead Sheave Replacement 
The first few times I sailed my Nonsuch after I purchased her I noticed the sail was very difficult to raise. Not knowing what had been done in the past I started with the easy stuff. I inspected, cleaned and lubricated the sail track and the bronze slides. That improved the situation but the sail was still difficult to raise, especially the last couple of feet. I got on the Nonsuch Google Group and got some great advice. Check the masthead sheave.
 
I had to wait until I pulled the mast but when I did I discovered that the sheave was worn badly on the shaft and when I put pressure on it with the halyard the sheave would tilt to the side and rub against the masthead casting.
 
I purchased a sheave replacement kit from Mike Quill and did the install myself. I don’t take photos to document the process, they’re more to help me remember how to put things back together.
 

Here’s the masthead casting and original sheave and shaft. Some castings have two sheaves but most are like my single sheave casting.

Here’s the masthead casting removed. It took a bit of work to get the stainless machine bolts out of the aluminum casting but with a little penetrating oil and some heat they all came out without any issues.

Photo 1: New sheave and shaft installed.

Photo 2: New sheave and shaft installed.

Photo 3: New sheave and shaft installed

Here’s a photo of the old sheave and shaft and you can see the scoring on the sheave indicating it had been binding against the masthead casting.

The entire project took only a few hours. I did it with the mast removed from the boat and that made things a lot easier. I also took the opportunity to tidy up a few other things at the top of the mast and make a few other minor changes. The next spring when I installed the mast the sail went up as easily as can be and better still it dropped like a rock when it was time to put the sail away. Ten seasons have passed since I did this project and the sail still goes up easily with no signs of binding. I regularly lubricate the sail track and clean the sail slides. 

Here’s some terrific projects from our Rendezvous co-chair Chris Oullette, NS30U Felina.

It’s been a long winter here in Nova Scotia and Chris has been very busy with some simply stunning boat projects.

Cockpit Table


 

Boom Boxes

Forward Bunk Slats

Forward Bunk Folding Mattress

 

 

 

Recessed Engine Control Panel

Electrical Accessories Box

Companionway Doors

Cockpit Cushions

Here’s a Few Nice Improvements from Allan Shaw, Nova Scotia Nonsuch Group President

Helm Seat – NS26 Chanterelle

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pulpit Seat – NS33 Chinatsu

Helm Cushion – NS33 Chinatsu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Holder for Companion Way Doors – NS33 Chinatsu

 
Here’s another project from Jamie Morrison, NS30U Dexterity II

Transom Mounted Davits
I originally had a set of Atkins & Hoyle davits that were deck mounted on the stern. After I was struck by another boat my dinghy and davits both required replacement. I purchased a new set of davits from Atkins and Hoyle, which are now built heavier than the original set, and I also purchased a new dinghy. The dinghy had a bit more beam than the old one so I decided to move the davits out to the transom so they would extend a bit further to accommodate the beam of the new dinghy. Previously the deck mounted davits were limited in there reach by the pushpit.

The photo shows the davits partially installed. I am about to install Dyneema stays from the top of the davits to the coaming to provide extra stability as instructed by Atkins & Hoyle. I should note that this installation required epoxying a piece of ¾” plywood measuring 10″ x 20″ behind each davit to stiffen the transom. There is also a 6″ x 9″ x .5″ aluminum backing plate on top of the plywood. Each davit is capable of holding 350 pounds. My dinghy with motor weighs 247 pounds.